Sunday, March 2, 2014

Where have I been?

I've been MIA for some time now.  Where did I go? What happened? Did I gain a ton of weight back?

In one word, what happened: Magnus

That's right I got pregnant and had another baby.  The journey through this pregnancy was difficult.  Initially I felt great, I kept up at Crossfit, and could eat without issue.

Then everything became an issue.  Water made me gag, apples made me gag, food I love made me flee from a room.  Not fun.  I struggled for quite some time with what to do.  I had worked so hard to fine tune my diet, I thought that Paleo would get me through morning sickness and the entire pregnancy.  It didn't.  Or rather it became apparent that it was not going to work for me to continue to be Paleo for the duration of this pregnancy.  It was like saying goodbye to a friend.  One you know you will see again, but not for a long time.

I remained gluten free, but incorporated dairy, some sugar, and grains back into my diet.  Mainly to survive.

Once I had the food situation under control, I thought I was good.  Then the hip/pelvic bone pain started.  It is EXCRUCIATING! If a pregnant women ever says her pelvis hurts tell her it's a miracle she is standing there talking with you, because it is.  Pelvic pain is an absolute horror.  I couldn't pick up my legs.  Imagine how many times a day you carelessly pick up your legs, say to walk, go up stairs, get dressed- not possible with this pain.  I managed the best I could with pillows, ice, chiropractic care and stretching, but Crossfit was out.  This was hard too.  Just when I finally felt like I had carved a little place for myself at my box, I'm gone.

After all this, the icing on the non-paleo cake, BED-REST. Yup, 16 weeks of bed-rest.  16 weeks is a lifetime when you can't change laundry, or vacuum or pick-up your other children.  Honestly a little part of me died during that time.  I couldn't have company over, for fear of having an early labor issue.  I slowly pulled away from all the people I knew, places I went, things I did.  I was simply a vessel for this baby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would change anything, it was just a challenging time.

Now, post happy baby boy birth (9 pounds 9 ounces). I did gain some weight, and lost basically all muscle tone, but I'm ready to re-focus on me, my health, eating and exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment